|The Quarry Mining/ Environmental, Health and Safety Manager (QM-EHS Manager) will be required to establish and oversee a Unit to manage all Quarry Mining, Environmental, Health and Safety operations pertaining to EMBD, in accordance with Public Sector guidelines.
The incumbent will be responsible for the control, management and direction of the organisation’s quarries as well as the management of its relationship with communities and other stakeholders within proximity of the organisation’s quarry operations.
Additionally, the QM-EHS Manager will be expected to formulate, implement and oversee environmental and health and safety management systems ensuring compliance with the Occupational, Safety and Health (OSH) Act 2004 as amended as well as the Environmental Management Act 2000, in order to ensure that the operations of the EMBD are efficiently managed.
|Duties and Responsibilities:
Establish a Quarry Mining and Environmental, Health and Safety (QMEHS) Unit, in accordance with Public Sector Management guidelines in order to ensure all QMEHS issues are effectively managed for the EMBD.
Quarry Mining Management, Monitoring and Auditing
- Assumes responsibility for ensuring that quarries under the EMBD’s management operate successfully by overseeing all operations.
- Responsible for establishing a management structure, which enables the quarries to operate in accordance with the guidelines set out by Cabinet.
- Keeps up to date with relevant government legislation and industry developments relevant to quarry operations.
- Responsible for defining the extent of the authority and the duties of the persons assigned to the Quarries Department.
- Liaises with the Legal Department on existing and pending contractual arrangements with quarry operators.
- Closely monitors all areas of the quarry to ensure that extraction and processing work is effectively carried out.
- Responsible for formulating an effective Environmental Management System to ensure protection of the environment within proximity to EMBD operated quarries and sites.
- Monitors reports on actual and potential hazards within the quarries under management, taking reasonable steps to implement procedures to eliminate or mitigate the hazard(s).
- Oversees the work of the organisation’s health and safety and mining personnel and ensures that all aspects of the organisation’s health and safety planning, assessment, management and monitoring systems are properly executed in line with relevant legislation.
- Maintains up-to-date records and deals with paperwork relevant to the operation of the quarries including the production of relevant reports on quarry visits,
- Collaborates with the Corporate Communications Department to ensure consistency of the message to communities within proximity to the quarries under management.
- Prepare and implement Quarry Rehabilitation Plans.
Environmental, Health and Safety Screening, Assessment, Planning, Management, Monitoring and Auditing
- Review projects in order to make recommendations for the incorporation of Environmental, Health and Safety (EHS) design elements and criteria into projects.
- Review projects to determine magnitude and significance of EHS impacts.
- Identifies required regulatory approvals and studies for quarry/construction operations – Certificate of Environmental Clearance (CEC), Environmental Impact Assessment (EIA, Notifications to the Occupational, Safety and Health Agency (OSHA), mining license and Town and Country Planning (TCPD) approval.
- Prepare EHS guidelines and criteria for project selection, design and implementation.
- Prepare Terms of Reference (TOR) for EIAs
- Supervise and Reviews EIAs and other environmental studies.
- Prepare TOR for employment of EHS consultants.
- Procure EHS consultants.
- Formulate, document, implement and audit Environmental, Health and Safety Management Systems aimed at protecting the environment and abiding by relevant legislation.
- Responsible for the formulation of training for the EHS personnel.
- Oversight on the monitoring of terms and conditions of CEC and contract documents to ensure compliance, in conjunction with the Legal Department.
- Take action in cases of non-compliance line with powers conferred by Cabinet and relevant legislation in cases of non-compliance.
- Conduct site visits to projects to ensure that sub-ordinate staff is operating efficiently.
- Review and assess Contractors EHS Management Plans, Risk Assessments to ensure there are minimal risks on EMBDs job sites.
- Formulate, document, implement and audit emergency response plans, fire prevention and control plans.
- Formulate and implement Health and Safety Committees.
- Incorporate Health and Safety Clauses in Contract Documents.
- Develop health surveillance and welfare procedures for staff of EMBD.
- Assess and Procure PPE for relevant employees of EMBD.
- Provide adequate resources for the implementation of an Environmental, Health and Safety Management System.
- Conduct Health and Safety Training Needs Analysis for EMBD.
- Assess the health and safety performance of infrastructure projects.
- Maintenance of Scientific Equipment used for monitoring Health and Safety.
- Provide and Oversee Health and Safety Training for EMBD’s staff.
- Execute inspections to ensure that all buildings, compounds, plant, equipment and systems of work are safe, and without risk to health.
Other related duties
- Manage the financial and administrative operations of the QMEHS operations for EMBD.
- Liaise with local, regional and international stakeholders/organizations to provide best Environmental, Health and Safety practices in the EMBD.
- Advise the CEO, EMBD on matters pertaining to Quarrying and Environmental, Health and Safety.
- Perform the function of designated Environmental Officer to the Environmental Management Authority.
- Supervise sub-ordinate staff.
Required Knowledge and Skills:
- A strong level of technical understanding of quarrying environments and extraction systems.
- Knowledge of health and safety issues and how they relate to practical working environments.
- Experience with the development and implementation of quarry rehabilitation plans.
- Considerable Environmental, Health and Safety knowledge.
- Excellent interpersonal and problem solving skills.
- Excellent written and verbal communication skills.
- Proficiency in the use of Microsoft Office suite.
- Capacity to coordinate interdisciplinary teams.
- Knowledge of mining operations.
Minimum Qualifications and Experience:
- BSc. and MSc. Degree in Environmental fields including:
- Environmental Sciences/Engineering
- Environmental Management
- Earth Sciences
- Geology/Mining Geology
- Minerals Engineering/Surveying
- Mining Engineering/Technology
- Experience and knowledge of EHS laws and Public Sector Management.
- Experience and in-depth knowledge of the Minerals Act and its subsidiary Legislation Quarries Act.
- NEBOSH Certificate in Health and Safety.
- At least ten (10) years supervisory experience in the preparation of CECs and monitoring of the terms and conditions of CECs.
- Advanced Training in Environmental Management and Development (ISO 14001 Series) (at least four (4) weeks training).
- At least ten (10) years supervisory experience in Health, Safety and Environmental Management of projects as a Director/Manager.
- Knowledge of Quarry Management.